Big fat blueberries bake best
Say that five times fast.
And then try one of these!
Combining two recipes from the Milk calendar, these muffins are made with yogurt and topped with crunchy brown sugar.
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 2/3 cup blueberry-flavoured yogurt
- 1 egg
- 1/4 melted butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 pint of fresh blueberries
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup rolled oats
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 375 ºF, and line muffin tins.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together sugar, milk, yogurt, egg, butter and vanilla.
- Pour the wet mixture into the flour mixture, but crucially, do not overmix! In fact, at this point, just mix until the dry mixture is just wet. There’ll be more mixing to come with the berries.
- Prepare topping in a separate bowl by combining all the ingredients and tossing lightly.
- Fold blueberries into the batter mixture, whilst being careful not to crush the berries.
- Spoon batter into muffin tins–not too full though, just a little over the height of the rim.
- Sprinkle the topping overtop, and pop into the oven! Let it rise for 30 minutes or until the tops are brown.
- Check doneness by inserting a toothpick into the centre, and it comes out clean. Transfer to rack to let it cool.