Looking for a brownie recipe that is somewhere between cake-like and fudgey, I combined two recipes that are boyfriend and [his] roommate approved :-)
What I like about this recipe is that the chocolate taste comes from real chocolate instead of relying on cocoa powder and sugar. For a twist, I also replaced vanilla extract with almond extract (apparently it gives a cherry-like flavour) and replaced brown sugar for white sugar (some say brown sugar gives a more dense and moist texture – hence creating fudginess.)
Chocolate brownie recipe (adapted from the Murray and Klasios families)
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 2/3 cup flour
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 325ºF, and generously grease an 8×8″ pan.
- Melt the chocolate chips with a bit of oil in a double boiler (I don’t have one but basically I steamed the chocolate underneath boiling water.) Remove from heat and add extract. Mix until smooth
- In a separate bowl, beat eggs and sugar until pale yellow. Blend in the dry ingredients.
- Mix in the melted chocolate, and set into pan.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.